Total Pageviews

Friday 6 July 2012

London smells of roses today!


London is beautiful today! My Indian best friend Kisu brought me sushi and Stewed Chicken Soup or Dun Ji Tang as it’s really called to heal my fever. Friendships are rare, in the busy city of greyness, unless you are still in high school and listen to mainstream rock while pretending to be a follower of the real hard core stuff.
Social networking has grew stronger; it's been a while that it took over our lives to the extent that I no more have a land line or a CV made out of paper. I found my job via LinkedIn, from a friend who recommended me to S. which I actually had met in this conference I went to in Singapore during the spring vacations with my ex-Arab boyfriend.

S. was the founder of this International organisation and particularly showed interest to me. We had several talks about the future of law firms, the bombarding over a decade in Iran, and the current political status of Russia, also about fine wine, cheese and the rapid growth of the eastern market. Boring stuff that never gets old, unless you are too young to appreciate the effect of globalisation someone who lives in Peru and Hong Kong suffers in the same frequency. But let’s talk about the negative sides of globalisation later.

A year after this prosperous meeting, following the recommendation via LinkedIn I got to speak to him via Skype and this was followed by few consecutive interviews person to person and then…..BOOM! I got the job. He was curious to know what happened with my Arab too; I tried to remain calm and I let my cynical side to reply in full control of my words that petroleum has been going down since the expansion of the alternative sources of energy became more efficient. We both laughed and had a sip of this blue liquor named “balloon” while I was swearing in silence that it was coloured Brandi, I never understood the need of re branding really. Ah... it seems that the world became full of graduate marketing consultants while chemical engineers are getting paid more for the creation of chemical explosives rather than drinkable chemicals.
When I first stepped into the office, everyone seemed too happy in my recently unemployed eyes; It had been only few months I was over with my Legal Practise Course and the chances to get into the market was weak like David, and scary like Goliath. I greeted the receptionist with a warm smile while calling his name; I felt one of those charmers who use their appearance and the newly polished white teeth to make a good impressions. How boring.  That boring that it almost has become a game for me I happily play. Monopoly for instance, I never liked it as kid, I didn’t like strategy games either. I could never imagine I would end up in to the strategy-sneaky field with friends who know my assets but not my middle name. 

I had fever all day today. Going for a walk in the storm after the bad news I had received from home was no good idea. My grandfather died the day before yesterday and I would have almost joined him if Kisu wouldn’t take care of me and bring me take away food. Kisu recently realised that accountancy wasn’t his thing and that the only he wanted in life was to play in concerts as a professional guitarist. He signed up in a band just before he quit his job as an accountant in a small retail business and now he is getting ready for his first gig with B.E.Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment